May 17, 2011

roasted cauliflower with curry

Cauliflower is a bit of an underdog. It's often mixed in with more flavorful, more colorful veggies.  We've all gotten the side of oversteamed broccoli, carrots and cauliflower on our plates.  It's boring.  For a long time I thought I hated cauliflower.  I dined at The Palm in Nashville recently and the vegetable of the day was roasted cauliflower with curry.  I ordered it, not because I thought I'd like it, but because it sounded healthier than the alternative - the deliciously fried half and half (fried onion strings and homemade potato chips).  I'm so glad I did.  This cauliflower was incredible - it had a nutty, toasted flavor, the texture was perfect, and the slight spicy curry was surprising.  Consider me a cauliflower convert.

I've been hoping to recreate this dish at home, so I was delighted to see locally grown cauliflower at my local farmers market last weekend.  I'm really happy with the result.

There are just a few simple ingredients, about two minutes' prep time, and no measurements.  It's easy, delicious and a really elegant side dish (I served it with homemade crab cakes).


Roasted Cauliflower with Curry
cauliflower, washed and chopped into bite-size pieces
Sea salt to taste
curry powder to taste

olive oil (just enough to coat)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place cauliflower directly into oven safe roasting dish and top with olive oil, curry and salt.  Toss until coated.  Roast in the oven 30 minutes, or until cauliflower is cooked through and edges become crispy. 






I must admit, I enjoyed this dish all by my lonesome.  The kids wouldn't touch it, and Darling Husband's review was "if I have to eat cauliflower, this is the way to go."  I'm calling that a minor victory.


(This photo is so much better than the others because Darling Husband took it for me.)

1 comment:

  1. Just letting you know that you have more than one reader. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete