August 28, 2011

nutella buttercream

Have you all seen that commercial where the token busy mom sings the praises of Nutella for breakfast?  She claims it’s perfect for families on the go because it’s nutritious and made with simple, healthy ingredients like skim milk and just a ‘touch’ of cocoa. 
Get real.  The first two ingredients in Nutella are sugar and oil. 
Now, don’t get me wrong.  I love Nutella.  It is delicious.  It’s amazing.  Sometimes nothing in the entire world tastes better.  Sometimes it’s hard to stop eating it.

But let’s call it what it is: dessert. 
Now I’ve just created something that will likely have fellow lovers of Nutella saying “thank you for changing my life.”  Are you ready?

NUTELLA BUTTERCREAM.
Oh, yes, I did.  I went there.  I added more sugar and butter and alcohol to an already perfect food and – gasp – made it better. 
So here’s what happened.  I was making this amazing Nutella cookie recipe to bring to an event, thinking I’d double the batch and leave some for my husband.  He loves Nutella.  Duh – who doesn’t?  Problem is, he also likes his desserts kicked up, oh, twenty notches.  Ok, a challenge.

Some of us in the Nashville food world have been singing the praises of The Sweet Stash & Whitney’s incredible oatmeal cookie sandwiches.  Something about putting really decadent buttercream in between two really decadent cookies makes a simple, yet over the top dessert.  So that was my theory (and my friends who like Friends will appreciate this): Cookie, good.  Nutella, good.  Double the amount of cookies and Nutella, GOOD.
So I took two almost perfect Nutella cookies – and, between the layers – put a silky, buttery, barely salty Nutella buttercream.  At this point all readers should be at least 18 because I’m pretty sure my eyes rolled in the back of my head. 
Nutella Buttercream
½ cup Nutella
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
¼ cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp Frangelico
½ tsp coarse or flaked sea salt

Using stand or hand-held mixer, mix butter and Nutella together until creamy.  Add both sugars, Frangelico and salt and blend until fluffy. 
I think the dark brown sugar is crucial, but you can of course use all confectioner’s sugar. 

Best thing?  You can use this buttercream for anything.  Spread it over brownies, cakes, toast, or you know, just eat it with a spoon.  (I’ve never, ever done that.  Ever.  I also didn’t use my fingers.  I also didn’t wake up with a smudge of Nutella buttercream on the side of my face.  Never happened.)

3 comments:

  1. Wow. These look amazing. And decadent. I either want to make them right now, or never for fear that I will become addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I don't understand is how one (or more) of these cookies did not make it to my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just the other day I saw that Nutella commercial and, while I LOVE Nutella, the commercial annoyed the daylights out of me. if its good just tell me its good and that I can't live without it. for desert. or an afternoon snack. or for breakfast even though I know its not healthy. but dont lie.

    anyways, given all that, this looks amazing and I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete