November 15, 2011

fried chicken nachos (or, good + good = really good)

I can’t decide if this is a confession or an accomplishment, but here goes:
I put fried chicken on nachos.
I blame Twitter.  It was a Friday and I had already decided I was going to have fried chicken for dinner.  Then I got a tweet from a friend who thought I might just enjoy seeing the photo and recipe for some killer nachos.  And yes, I pretty much always enjoy seeing, talking about, thinking about, making and/or eating nachos.  But it left this self-proclaimed nachos expert in a pickle.  I suddenly wanted nachos and fried chicken at the same time.  So, after a bit of Twitter banter where I pretended to be kidding about the possibility of fried chicken nachos (when I was actually already planning the recipe in my mind), I was set.
It’s simple math, really.  Good + good = really good. 
And these nachos are really, really good.  The fried chicken was certainly over the top, but I think my favorite thing about these nachos was the avocado ranch crema* I whipped up.  *By ‘crema,’ I mean I mixed avocado, ranch dressing & sour cream together & called it something fancier.  Either way, I’ll be making it again.  You should, too.
I don’t have a real recipe.  I mean, it’s nachos.  Nachos assembly is personal.  Who am I to tell you how much cheese is enough?  Just go for it.  Here’s what I put on these.
Fried Chicken Nachos with Avocado Ranch Crema
tortilla chips
fried chicken tenders, chopped
sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
green onions, chopped
tomatoes, chopped
green leaf lettuce, shredded
fresh avocado, sliced
avocado ranch crema*
Texas Pete, and lots of it

Assemble chips, cheese, onions, tomatoes and chicken on an oven-proof baking sheet or pan.  Broil until it’s where you want it.  Top with lettuce, avocado, crema and hot sauce.  Serve immediately.
*For the crema, mix equal parts mashed avocado, ranch dressing & sour cream together.  Add lemon juice & garlic powder to taste.  
Ok, ok.  I do have a confession.  When I was in college I worked at a Tex Mex restaurant chain & like many restaurant employees, got frustrated with the various ridiculous requests of customers.  I recall saying something like, “I bet if we put fried chicken bacon ranch nachos on the menu, people would eat them.”  I was thoroughly grossed out by the idea at the time, though I now know it was delicious foreshadowing.  I may even add bacon next time.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving everything about this. I want these for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts always make me laugh, Amanda! Fried chicken on nachos sounds awesome - but then again, when do nachos not sound awesome?

    ReplyDelete