December 12, 2011

dark chocolate chip & crystallized ginger cookies - and my first contest!


I'm so excited about this post that I don't quite know where to begin.  It's my official "Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap" post, which was a brilliant idea from Lindsay & Julie.  It's also a recipe that I adapted myself, which I'm really proud of.  Finally, it's my first contest! 

When news of the cookie swap started swirling, I signed up before I had the chance to talk myself out of it.  I knew I didn't have time.  I knew I'd be posting along with some of the best, most dedicated bloggers out there.  I was a bit intimidated, but I'm so glad I did it.  I received some great cookies from new blogger friends: Carroll, Eleana and Mackenzie.  I mailed my cookies to other new blogger friends: Madison, Krissy and Hilary.  And I adapted a recipe to add to my growing list of go-to cookies:


Dark Chocolate Chip & Crystallized Ginger Cookies
accidentally adapted from Bon Appetit's
recipe*

2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3/4 c (packed) dark brown sugar
1/2 c vegetable shortening
1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1/2 c ginger syrup (I used The Ginger People's)

1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c crystallized ginger chips (I used The Ginger People's)
12 oz dark chocolate chips

1 c raw sugar

Arrange racks in lower and upper thirds of oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, allspice, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt & pepper.
Fit stand mixer with paddle attachment and beat brown sugar, shortening & butter on medium-high speed until light & fluffy, scraping down sides, about three minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low, & add egg, ginger syrup and vanilla to blend.  Add flour mixture, beating on low speed until just blended.  Mix in crystallized ginger and chocolate chips.

Scoop out dough using two tablespoons to form a ball.  Roll into raw sugar.  Transfer to prepared baking sheet.  Bake cookies, rotating halfway through, until centers begin to crack, about 10-12 minutes.  Transfer to wire racks and cool.  Repeat with remaining dough & sugar.

Makes four dozen cookies.

*I say this recipe was accidentally adapted because I originally planned to make the cookie as listed in the magazine, but my molasses had gone bad and the grocery was out, so I had to shift my focus.  I had bought some of The Ginger People's Ginger Syrup and Crystallized Ginger Chips with another use in mind, but decided to try my hand at a new-to-me recipe instead.  So I swapped the ginger syrup for the molasses and added the chocolate chips.  I loved the result!  I loved it so much that I contacted the folks at The Ginger People to let them know.  They kindly offered a set of baker's items as a giveaway!

CONTEST:
I'm giving away a baker's set from The Ginger People, which includes Ginger Syrup, Ginger Snaps, Crystallized Ginger and Baker's Cut Crystallized Ginger, which is great because it's perfectly chopped & ready for baking. 



To enter, leave a comment telling me the best ginger-infused food you've ever had.

For up to three additional chances do the following, leaving a separate comment for each:
1.  Follow @TheGingerPeople on Twitter.
2. Follow me on Twitter, @loveandnachos.
3. Tweet the following: "I just entered to win a baker's gift set from @TheGingerPeople and @loveandnachos. http://anorganicprocess.blogspot.com/2011/12/dark-chocolate-chip-crystallized-ginger.html."


The contest is open from now until Thursday, December 15 at 1 p.m. CST. Please leave a valid email address with your comment so I can notify you if you’ve won. I’ll draw a random number that afternoon and the corresponding comment will be the winner.

The prize will be mailed directly to the winner from The Ginger People. This contest is open only to entrants in the United States.

The giveaway is now closed.  The winner was randomly selected out of 45 entries.  There were 46 original comments, but one was deleted by the commenter.  Congratulations to commenter  #7, Lacey!

49 comments:

  1. The best ginger infused thing I've had is triple ginger ice cream: powdered, fresh and crystallized. Funny, I never posted the recipe I used. Eh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I follow The Ginger People!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I just tweeted! @lesleyeats

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is going to be tough to pick.
    I love ginger. It's my favorite spice. The best ginger infused food I've had is simple:
    A green ginger-ade from the Whole Foods Juice bar: kale, cucumber, celery, tons of fresh ginger, lemon juice, apples and wheatgrass. MMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm following you on twitter now, I'm @kuntrageous

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also following The Ginger People on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, I heart me some ginger! Favorites: my Jack and ginger popsicles, Dose's ginger latte, and HHB&R's Base Burner with 4 Roses Bourbon and ginger ice cubes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I already follow you on Twitter, @ehalvey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We make salmon with a honey-ginger sauce (ginger, honey, brown sugar, hoisin sauce, chipotle). I could eat the sauce by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now following The Ginger People.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I follow ginger people on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beth's ginger drink at the Holland House (ask for the Sparkplug!) is all kinds of awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm convinced that Patterson House makes the best ginger syrup on the planet so all of their cocktails that contain it make me happy. If I had to choose just one, it would be their Moscow Mule.

    Ah, but the Indian Latte that Fido had this summer was pretty darn fantastic too. For me, however, cocktails will always beat caffeine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just followed Ginger People on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And of course I already follow YOU on Twitter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound AMAZING!! I have a recipe for Ginger Crackles in my blog I love, and of course the Ginger Latte from Dose!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ginger is a favorite ingredient around here too. The best thing I've had with it that keeps coming to mind is ginger-infused kombucha. Fizzy, ginger tea! With alcohol, even better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cookies look great! I toally commend you on adapting a new recipe all of your own, that takes a lot of guts. I'm glad I have you as a new Twitter buddy. Hope you liked the Molasses Spice cookies. =)

    http://choudown.blogspot.com/2011/12/molasses-spice-cookies-fbcookieswap.html

    Of course, enter me in your giner contest. I love super strong super sweet ginger syrup in an Asian rice ball soup. It reminds me of family!

    ReplyDelete
  19. And of course, I follow @loveandnachos on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is this drink at Holland House Nashville: Four Roses over Ginger Icecubes--it's aaamazing and the only way I can drink whiskey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am following @TheGingerPeople on Twitter, @miss_fish1

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am following @loveandnachos on Twitter too--@miss_fish1!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ginger is my favorite and I love Ginger People! One of my favorite ginger foods is the Ginger Latte at Dose!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I follow Ginger People on Twitter (@sallaboutme)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I follow you on Twitter of course! (@sallaboutme)

    ReplyDelete
  26. And I tweeted! https://twitter.com/#!/sallaboutme/status/146591466968453120

    ReplyDelete
  27. I follow The Ginger People on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry if you get this comment twice, but I don't know if the first one went through. My favorite ginger-infused eat is this lemon pie I made over the summer with a ginger crust. Ginger and lemon are so good together! It's also great in cocktails!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I had the Honey Jack Daniels with ginger infused into the cocktail

    ReplyDelete
  30. I tweeted the message

    dr2baka@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am a huge fan of ginger tea! I usually get yogi brand but will be making my own soon (i'll be sure to share the recipe on twitter once i get it perfected). =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I follow @TheGingerPeople on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am now following you @loveandnachos on twitter =)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I just tweeted "I just entered to win a baker's gift set from @TheGingerPeople and @loveandnachos http://ow.ly/80Fox"

    ReplyDelete
  36. My baked sticky thighs - ginger honey soy glazed chicken thighs, served over rice. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I tweeted: http://twitter.com/#!/jjdubinsmom/status/147388425354485760

    ReplyDelete
  38. I left my email address I think, but if I didn't: spaceyxlacey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. These look ridiculously good- I have a new thing for Crystalized Ginger! Congrats on your first contest girl!

    ReplyDelete
  40. These look great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete