June 7, 2012

everything & the kitchen sink

A friend inspired this post.  The jewelry designer and full-time mom of a toddler and newborn recently posted a photo of her kitchen.  The caption read "this is as far from Pinterest as it gets." 


as (not) seen on Pinterest
The photo made me smile.  It also made me empathize.  I see photos of spotless, gorgeous and sometimes themed rooms, parties, crafts and food, and well, they make me feel like I'm doing something wrong.  My house - the one with errant Cheerios and dust bunnies, sticky messes on counter tops, various toys, clothing and papers scattered in every room, and 'artwork' in the form of crayon scribbles - is a far cry from what I see online, in magazines, and, let's face it, in the homes of some friends who don't have kids.  


My friend's honest reflection of her current status resonated with me.  Suddenly, the feeling of self-conscious imperfection that I feel when viewing Pinterest-worthy images faded.  A sense of relief washed over me.  "It's not just me," I thought.  "All moms struggle with this."


I'm a full-time public relations professional with clients, deadlines, expectations and many, many words to get just right.  I spend my work day second guessing my instincts, trying to be charming, and dreaming up ways to make others' dreams possible.  It's exhilarating, but exhausting, especially because it's sandwiched between my other 'job' - my life's purpose, actually - of being a wife and mother.  In the mornings, evenings and weekends, I run, nonstop, to meet the needs of two babies and a teenager.  I wipe, sweep, mop, dust and rinse constantly.  When I invite people over, I clean for hours just so I can say, "sorry the place is such a mess."


But enough of that.  This, my friends, is the real me (on a 'clean' day). 


The cluttered look is going to be the thing in 2013. I'm ahead of my time. 


Unidentifiable husband-like contraption in the background. 

L to R: emergency chocolate, bubbles, Pillsbury Doughboy, more emergency chocolate, vitamins.

Cat food on the counter because the baby, who won't eat his dinner,  likes it as a snack.
In response to this revelation, I asked other mom friends to take a photo of their kitchens - as is.  I present this photo collection to you with pride.  Being a mom is tough.  We're in survival mode.  And guess what?  Those little darlings who adore us?  They've never once noticed whether the house is clean.  












Now if only I could get to a place of 'ok' regarding the snot and yogurt stains on my clothing.  That's another battle for another day in the life of super mom.  

6 comments:

  1. Great post! Having your galley-style as the main thoroughfare requires keeping it clean. The gate helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. So true! It's hard to maintain control of everything. Are you on Twitter? @ sallyewass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn, I knew I was forgetting to do something...sending you a photo! Great post, and it makes me feel much, much better about my house these days ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Because I took a long shot of my kitchen with all the light pouring in you can't see all the dirty dishes in the sink. What was that Ya-Ya line ... "Glitter on a kitchen floor is a sign of a good life"? Over the years, I've come to accept that I'm a slob, that I'll never have a pristine house, even when my kids are grown, and I'm okay with that. It helps to feel I'm not alone, though I have to confess, some of those kitchens look pretty clean...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is the same way! It is small, and almost always messy. In fact I took photos of it to send you and completely forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would be messier if my mom didn't live in town! We have daily kitchen explosions but we usually get the dishes in the dishwasher before we leave the house. Our dining room, however, is pretty much a dumping ground for everything else in our house.

    ReplyDelete