June 27, 2012

low calorie fresh, frozen fruit margaritas

It wasn't too long ago that I was down on my attitude and up on my weight.  Then about six weeks ago, I woke up and decided it was time for a lifestyle change (we still don't use the d-word around here).  Since then I've been exercising at least four times a week, and counting calories and fat.  And It Is Working.  I'm down 8 lbs so far, and though I've got another 15 to go, I'm motivated.

Annoying as it is, what they (I hate 'they') say is true: the key to a healthy weight is eating everything in moderation, abiding by a balanced diet, and getting regular exercise.  It sucks that it's true, but it's working.

Today's post focuses on my favorite part of the equation - the 'in moderation.'  With this lifestyle change, I'm still occasionally eating pasta, bread, fried food, dessert, and sometimes an adult beverage.  I just have to work out and/or load up on the veggies to make up for it.  It's forcing me to be creative and inventive. 

So far, my favorite creation is a fresh, delicious, naturally low calorie frozen margarita.  I came home from a stressful day at work and needed a pre-dinner snack.  I also needed a drink.  I saw an overripe peach (smart choice) sitting beside a bottle of tequila (less smart choice).  Then I got creative:  I peeled & chopped the peach, threw it in the blender with some ice, poured in a bit of tequila, and then grabbed a few frozen strawberries left over from this spring's bounty.  Then I got inventive: I added some sparkling water and blended it all. 

The result was very, very good.  And guess what?  One drink has less than 120 calories.


Cheers!  Um, in moderation.
Strawberry Peach Frozen Margaritas

makes two 8 oz. servings

10 medium frozen strawberries
one ripe peach, peeled and chopped

two oz tequila
1/2 cup crushed ice
6 oz sparkling water

Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.  Pour into two glasses and serve immediately.

Last night was another 'in moderation' night, but I was out of peaches.  I used what I had on hand, and created another version of the less-than-120-calorie margarita:

Strawberry Blood Orange Frozen Margaritas

makes two 8 oz. servings

10 medium frozen strawberries
4 oz blood orange juice
two oz tequila
1/2 cup crushed ice
4 oz sparkling water

Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into two glasses and serve immediately. 

There's something about the addition of the sparkling water that I love.  It makes the drink taste...sparkly.  But you can certainly use still water if preferred, and of course adjust the amount of ice depending on the desired consistency. 

Enjoy!  In moderation, of course.

3 comments:

  1. love the addition of the sparkling water - in addition to giving it a nice sparkly essence (which i love) i bet it bulks up the drink nicely, giving you more yummy beverage for the same amount of calories. smart!

    ReplyDelete