October 10, 2012

Peanut Butter Goo Goo Cluster brownies

The other day I picked up the phone to call a friend.  I just had to tell her about a dessert I tried that day.  It was crunchy, chewy & gooey.  It was salty, sweet & chocolatey.  It was so rich I didn't think I could finish it, yet so delicious I ate every bite.

Guess what?  That's my job.  Like, my honest to goodness career. 

The dessert was created by a local restaurant, and the ingredients paid homage to the Goo Goo Cluster.   I've spent a good part of the past ten months working on publicity for the candy, which celebrates 100 years of incredibly sweet success this month. 

My friend and colleague is my Goo Goo counterpart, and we've spent countless hours dreaming up ways to celebrate The Original Southern Confection's anniversary.  Goodness, has it been fun - even though I may be carrying a few extra pounds of marshmallow nougat, fresh roasted peanuts, caramel and real milk chocolate around my midsection. 

And when I'm not working?  It's still a Goo Goo world as far as I'm concerned.  In fact, I dreamed up an over-the-top dessert using my favorite brownie recipe and my favorite Goo Goo Cluster variety: Peanut Butter.


Peanut Butter Goo Goo Cluster Brownies
makes nine large or twelve small brownies


Ingredients:
3 eggs
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick salted butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
6 Peanut Butter Goo Goo Clusters
a couple pinches of flaked sea salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment or wax paper, making an ‘X’ with two long pieces of the paper so it hangs over all four sides. Grease the paper with butter or spray. This will ensure easy removal of the bars once they’ve cooled by simply lifting the paper and transferring the bars to a cutting board.
Chop Peanut Butter Goo Goo Clusters into small pieces, place in a bowl and put in the freezer.

Mix the flour and cocoa powder in a medium size bowl & set aside.
Fit a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, and beat the eggs, brown sugar & vanilla on medium speed until thick and pale, 3-5 minutes. Slowly incorporate the butter.

Reduce whisk speed to low and slowly add the dry mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl until fully combined. Stir in two-thirds of the chopped, chilled Goo Goos and pour batter into prepared pan.  Sprinkle the remaining Goo Goos over the top of the brownie mix.  Lightly sprinkle flaked sea salt over top. 

Bake about 45-50 minutes until center is no longer jiggly and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the brownies cool in the pan, then transfer to a cutting board by lifting all four sides of the paper.

They taste best after sitting in the refrigerator overnight. Cut into squares & serve.
 

 
This month marks the culmination of all the hard work, and I don't just mean taste testing.  If I've done my job, you've already heard Goo Goo's history.  You know that it was the world's first combination candy bar.  You know there are more than a few celebratory activities planned.  I hope you'll take the time to "Go Get a Goo Goo" this month. 

2 comments:

  1. It's so exciting to see it all falling into place right now! All of the blood, sweat and tears (and yes, I've had LOTS) is finally paying off.

    Working and playing with food all day long-- we are some lucky girls, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemme know when you make these with Supremes. :)

    ReplyDelete