November 20, 2012

cookie for a cause: salted double chocolate chip Heath bar coookies

 

I made this recipe for a recent benefit.  Sweet Relief Two was a food blogger driven bake sale with the hopes of providing a little assistance following the destruction caused by that bitch Hurricane Sandy.  We baked to raise funds for the Community Food Bank of NJ, and boy, did we ever.  I had the opportunity to share that story with the Nashville Scene; I hope you take the time to read about it.  It was a beautiful experience, and one I'll not quickly forget.

Speaking of beautiful, these cookies have brought smiles to quite a few people.  I've made more batches since the bake sale, and I think they'll be in frequent rotation in our home.   

My baking style is this: perfect a simple recipe and go wild with mix-ins. I like cookies, brownies, and muffins for this reason. Once I get that base recipe down, the possibilities are endless. The quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe has been a long process, but I think I've got it: more butter, less flour, dark brown sugar, and twice as many chocolate chips as necessary. And salt. Salt is key. 

The Heath Bar bits add a fantastic chewy-yet-crispy texture that works well with the dark brown sugar and (lots of) butter.  I like adding a few chocolate chips on top of each ball of cookie dough so there are visible chips on every cookie.  Four dozen seems like a lot of cookies, but you'll need at least that many for keeping and sharing.



Salted Double Chocolate Chip Heath Bar Cookies

makes about four dozen

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 sticks salted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided in half
12 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
12 oz Heath Bar bits
coarse or flaked sea salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Combine flour & baking soda in a bowl; set aside.  Using a handheld or stand mixer, blend butter and brown sugar at medium speed until creamy, about three minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla until fully blended.  Scrape batter down the sides as needed.  Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture a little at a time until fully mixed.  Add half semi-sweet chocolate chips, and all the bittersweet chocolate chips and Heath Bar bits, mix completely.


Drop small balls of cookie dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper (I use the small Pampered Chef scoop); one dozen at a time.  Place four or five semi-sweet chocolate chips atop each cookie dough, then sprinkle with salt.  Bake 10-11 minutes until golden brown. 

2 comments:

  1. These cookies are nothing short of fantastic. So good that I incurred the wrath of the husband when I would not share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete